Monday, August 5, 2013

Big Bite Baits Rojas Fighting Frog





Fighting Frog:      Colours: 18   Size: 3.5" and 4"     Pack Count:  7 &10     
 Leg Style: Punch            Scent: N/A


Intro:

Ok, Ok, I get it, I knew I was going to take some flack for this one, but hey.. Big Bite Baits calls this a frog bait, so who am I to dispute them (or Dean Rojas). So here it is, the first every review of a "flipping frog"


Overall Rating: 8.3/10
Each frog is rated on the following criteria: Quality, Castability, Presentation, Hook-up Ratio Available Options, Product Availability & Price


Quality & Durability: 3.0/5

There are times in which I had seperated Quality and Durability, because not all high quality baits are durable, and not all durable baits are quality.. this is one of those instances

there is no doubt that he Big Bite Baits Rojas Fighting frog is a  quality bait, it was designed extremely well, and has more bells and whistles then any flipping bait should, yet all of them play a roll in it's success.. that being said it is not a durable bait and you can expect to burn through that 7-10 count pack if the bite is on

The issue lies with the body cavity of the bait, there is so much going on that the area that holds the hook is very thin and gets torn up during the fight. They must have known this may be an issue, as in this instance the price and the pack count offset the amount of baits you will use


Castability: 4.0/5

When it comes to pitching/flipping baits you not only need to consider it's castability but also it's ability to easily slide through cover. The Fishing Frog offers you both of these perks yet still have enough limbs and appendages to offer a nice presentation on the fall





Presentation: 5.0/5

This bait is slick, I dont know about you, but Im constantly looking for a slender profile flipping bait that still flaps and flails up a storm, and the fighting frog achieves this. I personally prefer the 4" model and rig it both on l1/4 to 5/16oz weights all the way up to 1/2oz when flipping heavy cover.

The Fighting Frog is the perfect bait to have rigged up as a frog fishing follow-up bait.. if you miss that big blow up, just flip this baby in the gaping hole and hold on tight


Hook-Up Ratio: 4.5/5

With a slim hook slot on its back (see above) and a deeper well on it's belly (see below) the Fighting frog makes sure your hook is always in position to hit home with little to no plastic in the way. it is so deadly accurate I have yet to miss a fish on one, but at the same time theses qualities that make it a killer hook-up bait are the same qualities that cause it to be so weak and you will quickly burn through a pack if the bite is hot

Availability: 3.5/5

Bite Big Baits are getting more and more popular, and are available in a wider selection of shops each season. Personally I have some driving to do when I want to purchase them and I often resort to ordering them on-line (shipping is cheaper then gas money)




Options & Price: 5.0/5

Big Bite Baits offer a killer selection, the Fighting frog is currently available in 2 sizes (3.5" and 4") and 18 colour options. I like the bigger size and usually fish the 4" on a 5/16 oz weight so it keeps some of its flutter. My colour choices are the Okeechobee Craw and the Junebug.



Where to Find:
In case you are having a hard time finding these locally, here are some reliable options for you.

Big Bite Baits ($4.69- $5.49)

TackleWarehouse ($3.49 - $3.99)

Land Big Fish ($3.49-$3.99)


Equipment:

Since this is a flipping frog, I prefer to fish it on the Dobyns DX795. This rod is bit and beefy yet very light weight and of course well balanced. My reel of choice is the Daiwa Lexa 300

I though I would include the below pic of a crappie I picked up on the Fighting Frog while flipping docks. I think he must have got the surprise of his life when he gave it a tug and received my big bass hook set in return




No comments:

Post a Comment