Monday, June 2, 2014

Bass Pro Shops XPS Frog Review




XPS Frog  : Colors: 2   Length: 2 3/4"  inch Weight: Pack Count: 1


Intro:

The Bass Pro shop does many things well, but frogs are not one of them.. the XPS frog sinks better then it swims and its thick plastic body and heavy internal weight makes this frog designed more for combat by with a a shark then with a bass


Overall Rating: 5.5/10
Each frog is rated on the following criteria: Quality, Castability, Presentation, Hook-up Ratio Available Options, Product Availability & Price


Quality & Durability: 3.0/5

Basing this review on the XPS's quality as a "bass-fishing" frog it gets fairly low marks, but with that said, it is built to last and as some of the below pics can attest to, my XPS frog has done battle with bowfins and still live to tell the story.

The XPS has a super thick skin and large internal weighted hook, both of these hold up well, but are not really conducive for bass fishing.. pike maybe, musky maybe, bowfin obviously, but Bass not so much. 




Castability: 3.5/5

This frog can be cast a country mile (if that's still a term). I was actually blown away by the distance I could get on each and every cast, no matter the condition.  The landing on the other hand, really is an  an issue. The overall weight and flat bottom give this frog a pronounces slap when it hits the water (like a bomb slap)

Presentation: 3.0/5

this frog is has a slow wobble/walk automatically on the retrieve, there is no need to work the rod tip, the frog does it all by itself… that said, it barely keeps itself above the water and the tiny legs are hardly visible.. so why even give this frog swimming legs?




Hook-up Ratio: 2.50/5

Not impressed at all with this frogs hook up ratio. This is mainly due to the super thick skin and the large internal weight. It's thinner profile also leaves very little room for the body to collapse, again not helping you at all in the hook up area. I will admit the hooks are sharp and strong, and if you are able to drive them home, they usually hold on.. even when you don't want them too.





Availability: 3.0/5

Being a Bass Pro Shop product you are fairly limited to where you are able to buy XPS Frogs.. yep that's right at the Bass Pro Shop, and since I don't think it;s fair to give a brand specific frog poor marks for only being available at it's own store.. i left the rating at 3.0

Options & Price: 2.5/5

I'm not sure if this frog is in the process of being retired or not, all I can tell you is that the choices are much smaller now then when I purchased my frog last season. Currently the XPS frog is available in one size and two colour options. I think it is a bit pricey at $5.49 and would much rather spend my cash on a Booyah frog at the same price point




Where to Find:
In case you are having a hard time finding these locally, here are some reliable options for you.

Bass Pro Shop ($5.49)




Equipment:

The XPS Frog is a heavy frog meant for heavy cover and heavy fish. I would not go any lighter then the Dobyns 736c, and you may even want to up size to the DX795.. again this frog is not for the faint of heart and I would only break it out in situations that I'm worried about loosing a frog or when I know there are toothy critters lurking about.

I fished this frog with a Daiwa Lexa 300 with 60lb Sunline FX2 braid




Field Test Report Card:

Open Water (Sparse Pads): C+
Pads (Medium Cover): C
Slop & Grass (Heavy Cover): B-

Walk the Dog: B
Popping Action: N/A
Sit/Pause: C-






5 comments:

  1. What knot do you use for the braid to hook connection?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Eric, sorry for the delayed response. I like to use a cinch knot the majority of the time (thats the knot in the above image) From time to time I will also use a palomar knot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on. I've learned a lot from your site. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I searched for a review. Thanks for being honest, you just saved me some money. Love Bass Pro Shops but am always suspect of in house products.

    Thanks, Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad I searched for a review. Thanks for being honest, you just saved me some money. Love Bass Pro Shops but am always suspect of in house products.

    Thanks, Bill

    ReplyDelete