Monday, August 17, 2015

Renosky Jr's Super Frog Swimmer Review

 
Super Swimmer:    Colors: 6     Weight1/4oz    Size: 2.5"   Pack Count: 1
      

Intro:

The Renosky Jr Super Frog Swimmer (say that 3 times fast) takes some concepts from other popular frogs an attempts to make it their own. The main feature of this frog is the anglers ability to change the frogs action by switching between legs and a somewhat odd skirt. Cool concept, yes, but poorly executed.



Overall Rating:  5.8/10
Each frog is rated on the following criteria: Quality, Castability, Presentation, Hook-up Ratio Available Options, Product Availability & Price

Quality: 2.5/5

This really was a hard category for me to rate, the frogs body holds up well and is nice and pliable, the hooks are string and sharp, but this lure is easily rendered useless when a fish rips the legs off, or the they come flying off miscast due to a birds nest (it was one of those days). In order to improve this bait a way to lock the legs in place would be a big help.

This will sound odd coming from me, but I loves the legs on this bait, they were durable and had more action then the bait them were cloned after (worlds best bass frog). But on the opposite end of the spectrum I hated the skirt, the strands were unruly and the flashing combined with the strands became mated once wet. Without the legs this bait will never see the water again. 


Castability: 3.5/5

The SFS Frog is fairly small profile and light weight, as an angler that often long bombs my frogs i found I had to put a bit more muscle into my casts which may have caused the leg incident I experienced. 

Again maybe its just me, but the legged version of this frog casts and lands better then when skirted. I felt like the skirted version dragged in the air, causing me to again put more power into my casts as well as loosen up the reels breaks.



Presentation: 3.0/5


I said it above and I'll say it again, i really loved the action these legs gave off, they swam really well and pulled up next to the bait on the pause. This frog looks great swimming and sitting and really calls the fish in.

Skirted.. not so much, the long bulky skirt caused drag and effected how the bait swims and looks on the pause. I really wish Renosky provided two sets of legs instead of the skirt/leg combo


Hook-Up Ratio: 3.0/5


Good hooks and a soft body usually make for an above average hook-up ratio, but add in thick rubber legs or a thick matted skirt and you start to effect your baits performance. These are just some of the issues I experienced when fishing the Super Frog Swimmer. I think the below image speaks louder then words.



Availability & Price: 2.5/5

This frog is pretty hard to find, and I guess if other anglers experienced the same issues I have, then I can understand why bait companies arn't knocking down doors to add this bait to their shelves. 


Options: 3.5/5

The SFS frog is only available in one size, but 6 pretty cool color options. The fact that they offer the frog with both legs and skirts also gave them some brownie points here (no matter how much I hate the skirt).



Where to Find:
In case you are having a hard time finding these locally, here are some reliable options for you.




Equipment:

I ran this frog on a Dobyns 736c, paired up with a Daiwa Tatula HD reel on 60lb braid. This rod and reel combo is built to handle frogs and they let the bait perform like it should in all aspects listed above.  




Field Test Report Card:

Open Water (Sparse Pads): B+
Pads (Medium Cover): B+
Slop & Grass (Heavy Cover): C-

Walk the Dog: N/A
Popping Action: N/A
Sit/Pause: B+










No comments:

Post a Comment