Monday, June 18, 2018

Lunker Hunt Popping Frog Review



 Popping Frog:   Colors: 8     Length: 2 1/8    Weight: 1/2oz   Pack Count: 1
 Popping Frog:   Colors: 8     Length: 1 3/4    Weight: 1/4oz   Pack Count: 1

Intro:

Here we go, another "real leg" frog from LunkerHunt, this time we are taking a look at the Popping version of their popular LunkerFrog. I don't know about you, but I was sure glad to see they released a standard frog this season, here's hoping this is the last of the real leg fad.

Manufactures Description :

The Lunkerhunt Popping Frog™ calls fish in by creating a surface disturbance. Its concave face catches water, causing popping and spitting noises. 

The swimming legs of the Popping Frog create explosive strikes! 

Popping Frogs feature a weedless design and hollow body construction. The Popping Frog’s supersoft hollow body compresses quickly under the slightest amount of pressure. When it does, sharp high quality upturned hooks are ready for the hookset. 

The Popping Frogs generate tons of action with minimal movement. They can be worked along edges, through grass, in pockets and on open water.

Overall Rating: 5.8/10

Each frog is rated on the following criteria: Quality, Castability, Presentation, Hook-up Ratio Available Options, Product Availability & Price


Quality & Durability: 3.05

Ok, lets get this out of the way, the legs on this frog (like with every other LunkerHunt frog) continue to be an issue. They fish clumsy, and can and will get in the way when you attempt to set the hook on a fish that actually falls for your bait. They don't last and are often ripped off after the first or second fish.

I recently watched a video in which an angler actually cut of the legs and replaced with with silicone, good idea, and LunkerHunt must have agreed as their new from this year has silicone legs



Castability: 3.0/5

The casting distance has never really been an issue with LunkerHunt frogs, but the landing is, as with the swim it lands clumsily and not often enough in a fighting position. The legs make it an awkward bait to skip so for accuracy sake stick to shorter target casts.





Presentation: 2.0/5

I feel like I'm getting a little repetitive here, but this version of the LunkerHunt series of frogs seems to fish even worse then the others. Its cupped mouth does push water well enough, but the body jerks oddly when doing so and as mentioned above (repeatedly) its clumsy legs flail about with no real purpose. Even the pause isn't realistic on this frog leaving me pretty much nothing positive to say about it. 


Hook-Up Ratio: 3.0/5

The one perk that all LunkerHunt frogs have going for them is their body material. its soft, pliable, durable and mashed down well to expose the hooks. The hooks are sharp and come out at a decent angle. Like with the other real leg frogs your concern will also be the legs getting int he way, they can and will ball up on hook sets and at time will catch the hook covering the point.

Innovation & Design: 3.0/5

If I included this section in the first LunkerHunt LunkerFrog review I wrote back in 2012 I would have given them full proper here, the idea when first launched was a new one and offered anglers and whole new look. I didn't work, but I love that they had the balls to try it.

Now 5+ years later I wish they would move on, this type of frog is stale, and although they still seem to sell I don't know any anglers who would throw it in public.

Availability, Options & Price: 3.5/5

I think I'm being generous here as I'm having a hard time finding this frog online other then on the Storm Website (and you cant buy it there) and on Ebay (for outrageous prices). I'm not sure if this frog has been sent into retirement but what I can say is it is getting harder and harder to find.



Situations for Success:

I'm going to say your best bet to be successful with this frog is to ignore the legs and fish it where the bass cant see it. Fish it in heavy cover and slop using its weight to your advantage. The legs may cause it to roll a bit but it should sit well when paused.

I'm also seen all LunkerHunt frogs fished using the limb dangling method, this may be one area the legs actually come in handy. So if you regularly fish overhangs see if you can get a fish air born.


Where to Find:
In case you are having a hard time finding these locally, here are some reliable options for you.



Equipment:

I fished the LunkerHunt Popping frog on a Dobyns 735c which provides enough tip to walk and pop along with the backbone needed to yank fish from cover. Pair it with a Daiwa Tatula reel with a 7.3:1 gear ratio





Field Test Report Card:

Open Water (Sparse Pads): C
Pads (Medium Cover): C
Slop & Grass (Heavy Cover): D

Walk the Dog: D
Popping Action: C+
Sit/Pause: C

1 comment:

  1. After research just a few of the weblog posts in your web site now, and I truly like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website checklist and will likely be checking back soon. Pls try my website as well and let me know what you think. slots for real money

    ReplyDelete