Monday, October 15, 2012

Gambler Double Trouble Toad Hook Review



 Colors: 1 Sizes: 4/0  Pack Count: 2  Features: Nose Screw, Twin Points, 

Intro:

I will be the first to admit I was a bit late in coming to the Gambler Cane toad. It was not an avoidance thing but more of a lack of knowledge. When I finally started to use it, I quickly came across some pro's and con's. One of the con's was my ability to find the perfect way to hook this frog so that it ran true, and still achieved a decent hook-up ratio. Well thank god for the Gamble Double Trouble Toad hook, as they are a match made in heaven 


Overall Rating: 7.3/10

Each frog is rated on the following criteria: Quality, Presentation, Available Options, Product Availability & Price

Quality/Durability: 4.0/5

This hook came pretty damn close to getting a perfect score in it's overall quality, but I cant in good conscience give this hook anything over a 4, with that gawd awful soldering job that attaches the corkscrew bait keeper to the hook shank. It looks bad, and since it is not a smooth finish it can cause you grief on your retrieve when it catches on vegetation. 

The hook itself is top quality, it is a 4/0 gammy and is sticky sharp

I did have concerns with rigging the DTT, but after watching the below video I realized it was a me issue and not an issue with the hook. I had been attempting to rig the hook through the body or thinner part of the frogs legs, but I hated the result. In the below promo video Chris Lane shows you that the Double Trouble was designed to be skin hooked on the side of the frog and not pushed through the body.. this makes way more sense and I was a little disappointed that I did not figure it our myself





Availability & Price 3.5/5

The on-line availability of this hook is pretty solid, you can get it from most of the big boys. Locally is a different storey, I have yet to see this hook on my travels and ended up buying it sight unseen from LBF.

As for pricing, the Double Trouble hook averages out at about $5.26 a pack or $2.63 a hook.. ouch, that makes it the most expensive of the three frog hooks I have reviewed so far

Options : 3.0/5

How do I say this.. there are no options, you get one size, and one colour choice. Is that a bad thing? technically no, and I don't think it should be a sticking point when making a hook buying decision. It may actually make it easier for you.. no decision, just a yes or no



Where to Find:
In case you are having a hard time finding these locally, here are some reliable options for you.

Gambler ($5.29)


Land Big Fish ($4.89)

Bass Pro Shop ($5.99)









No comments:

Post a Comment