Monday, October 22, 2012

Rebel Frog R Review

Frog-R:   Colors: 4        Size: 2"        Weight: 3/8oz      Pack Count:  1

    
Intro:

Rebel lures hold a place near and dear to my heart, the company name and logo are synonymous with classic old school fishing. They make me think of all the times I would route through my grandfathers tackle box borrowing lures that I had no idea how to use or what to do with. Over the years I have continued to be a proud supporter of Rebel products, and to this day you will find a bunch of Rebel baits in my arsenal including: the Bumble bug, Crickhopper, Pop-R and now the all new Frog-R.


Overall Rating:  7.6/10
Each frog is rated on the following criteria: Quality, Castability, Presentation, Hook-up Ratio Available Options, Product Availability & Price

Quality: 4.0/5

For a bait that is priced on the lower end of the spectrum you have to admit that Rebel puts out a quality product. The Frog-R is well designed, well built and looks great. The only real concern I have its with the hooks. I find them to be a bit on the budget side, but again I think this is one of the ways Rebel helps keep the prices down for the average every day shopper. Tournament guys will want to switch these hooks out, and even with that added cost the Frog-R is still comes in at a reasonable price point 


Castability: 3.0/5

The Frog-R is fairly light weight and that can and will effect your overall casting distance especially in windy conditions.  It will take a bit of adjustment on your baitcaster to find the perfect setting if you want to launch this baby to the moon. 

Presentation: 4.0/5


The Rebel Frog-R is a top-water/wake bait. It cruises just along (or slightly under) the waters surface, and leaves a nice wake. The soft erratic action is similar to walking the dog and really seems to entice fish to bite. Like all Rebel baits it is designed for ease of use, so pro's and novices alike should have no issue making this bait twitch, walk and wake to perfection 

Hook-Up Ratio: 3.5/5

There has been a saying in the fishing industry for years now, that sayin is "Big baits catch big fish" and although technically thats true, you can over look the importance of smaller bite sized baits that fish can gobble up with ease. The Rebel Frog-R is the perfect 1-bite brownie to a bass and this means better hook-up ratios

Again, if the stocked hooks were improved this Frog would easily get a 4+ rating in this category

Availability: 4.0/5

Rebel products are in line with Rapala and Berkley and Live Target, they are readily available and no matter how large or small your local bait shop is, I would be surprised if they don't carry some if not all Rebel products. The Frog-R has been a instant success, and is widely available in my area

Options & Price: 4.5/5

You cant complain about the price point on the Rebel Frog-R, coming in on average under the $4 mark you would be hard pressed to find any other hard frog bait priced anywhere near it.  As for the options, you currently have 4 life like color choices, as you can see from the top image, I own three of the 4, and think they each have a use in my arsenal



Where to Find:

In case you are having a hard time finding these, here are some reliable options for you.

Tackle Warehouse ($4.29)

Bass Pro Shop  ($3.99)

Lurenet ($3.99)

Cabela's ($3.99)



Equipment:

When fishing with a Frog-R I have been going back and  forth between two different rods in my arsenal. I started off using the 705CB glass rod, it is my standard crank bait rod for squarbills and other shallow running cranks. As I used it more I moved over to a SS704c witch is a micro-guide rod. I love this rod for most top water applications and the Frog-R is no exception.  Top water fishing is one presentation in which I have moved over from braid to fluorocarbon, more specifically SunLine FC Sniper






1 comment: